Tuesday, December 31, 2013

8.5 mile hike: Lewis Trail

I was kind of lazy the last couple of days, so it was time to go outside again today since it would be back above freezing temperatures and a bit more comfortable. I wanted to get a few small things at REI and try out some other meal-replacement bars for eventual potential use on my hike, so I decided to head to Missouri for the hike and run errands afterward.

This is an 8.3 mile loop along the bluffs over the Missouri River and up and down inland in various little ravines and across creek beds that are usually dry. There are a few overlooks just off the trail, so I'm rounding up to 8.5 miles carrying a 20 pound pack. It was 31 degrees when I hit the trail and in the mid-40s when I finished. Perfect for just a couple of light layers, and the pack felt good.


I was kind of dragging today, though, and wasn't totally into hiking today. The trail was frozen and rutty in some places, and there were quite a few trail runners out, but it was still a nice day to be out. I've met interesting people the two previous times I've been on this trail, but today, it was just trail runners who barely said hello and who inexplicably litter their tissues all over the place (probably unintentionally, but still...).


I should have been looking more closely for bald eagles at the overlooks, I guess. When I got back to the parking lot, a photographer with some serious equipment was headed out on the trail, and I assume that's what he was looking for.


Lewis and Clark passed by here during both directions of their journey over 200 years ago. The note for their campsite on the outward journey says that Lewis almost fell off one of these bluffs. I guess that would have shortened his trip significantly!


This is how I feel now--ready to curl up and snooze. My right foot is sore, my achilles tendons are tight, and I'm not going to stay awake long enough to welcome in the new year. I'm about ready for bed, and the 4 Hands Rye IPA in my hand will hasten that along! I'm going to stretch and do a quick session with this magical little foot massager first, though :)


No comments:

Post a Comment