Sunday, December 29, 2013

Gear Status Reports

I've decided to add a brief Status Report at the beginning of gear entries. It will look something like this:

Status: 80% In
Weight: 78 grams
Mods: None
Alternatives:

Status will be the percent of certainty that the particular item will be in my bag or on my person when I hit the trail. A few things will get 95-100%. 80%-ish means that I will be taking something from that category along but think that my current version may not make it (my heavy rain jacket is currently in this category. I will take a rain jacket. It will probably be my current one, but to save weight, I may try a different one). Anything less than 50% probably won't make the cut and is probably something I don't need anyway. This rating is mostly to help me make decisions on gear closer to my departure date and to decide where to spend money on lightening the load.

Weight is how much the item weighs. Duh. I'm going with grams for now because it's more precise.

Mods is a list of any modifications I have done or will do to the gear before departure. Sometimes the mods are to solve a problem, sometimes to add or remove a feature, or sometimes to cut weight.

Alternatives is a place for listing possible alternatives or options relevant to that piece of gear. I may also put contingencies here that may change my gear based on weather projections, injuries, etc.

I know all this may seem dumb or overly gear focused to some, but I enjoy planning big projects, so this is just a way for me to document that process.

No comments:

Post a Comment