Monday, January 20, 2014

Food Stockpiling!

It seems sort of weird that the start date of this trip is close enough that I can start stockpiling packaged food, but I saw peanut butter packets on sale on Amazon and decided that a trip to Whole Foods and Trader Joe's would give me a good start on figuring out my food for the trip. I've decided to mostly eat granola/food bars, packaged nuts, peanut butter, etc. for breakfast and lunch and do Freezer Bag Cooking for dinners. The bars/nuts/etc. can be very calorie dense, which means they weigh less than many other food options. Also, there aren't many grocery stores along the trail, so resupplying myself through the mail seems like the best bet.

I'll leave some room in my daily rations to add whatever junk foods I'm craving and can get at gas stations, but I prefer to not have to worry about or spend too much time on tracking down food in towns for this trip. I may get tired of some of these foods, but I know when I was on the bike trips that I usually wanted a constant stream of snacks during the day and a mix of sweet and salty things. I ate a lot of nutty bars on the cross-country bike trip, but I'm trying to get better nutrition this time around.


A lot of backpackers carry peanut butter because it's one of the most calorie dense foods you can carry that isn't straight oil or butter. Most of those people carry a jar of PB because it's cheaper, but I'm going with packets because I'm not so good at rationing PB and because I like some of these different flavors. Plus, the packets are easier to eat on the go.


This picture makes my husband sad because it's a whole bunch of granola bars that he doesn't get to eat. I did bring him two boxes of his own, but I kept 60 bars for myself. We have been taste-testing a lot of different bars. I'll take some more specialized energy bars, but these from Trader Joe's are good for breakfast or snacks.


The cat is very unhappy about all this food packing. Packing of any kind makes her nervous because it usually means we're going to leave. Normally, she would sit on a suitcase to show her displeasure, but instead, she's trying to sit on some sesame seed bars and shortbread cookies. I'm not sure what she's thinking, but I know she's thinking that this messy food stockpile isn't a good sign...

No comments:

Post a Comment